Former Salvadoran Colonel Accused of Perjury for Involvement in Jesuit Massacre

News

While Salvadoran law continues to protect war criminals under the controversial Amnesty Law, international courts in the US (see below) and Spain are calling on former Salvadoran government and military officials to stand trial for crimes committed during El Salvador's 12-year Civil War. Reposted from Boston.com By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff A former Salvadoran government military officer who has been accused of colluding in the infamous killing of six Jesuit priests two decades ago has been charged with making false statements on immigration forms and committing perjury, the US attorney’s office announced today. Inocente Orlando Montano, 69, was charged in a criminal information filed in federal court with one count of making false statements on an immigration application and one count of perjury. Montano had already been charged in a criminal complaint in late August. The government, to move forward with the case, was procedurally required to charge him either by information or indictment, said Christina DiIoria Sterling, a US attorney’s spokeswoman. The perjury charge is also a new addition to the case, she said. Click here to read the full article.

Similar Entries

Meet some of the sustainers who power our work!

My monthly donation is a small but meaningful way to invest in solidarity, sustain my own engagement in la lucha, and ensure that CISPES staff can count on funds to continue their important work.” - Amanda Kistler, Washington, DC

Join Amanda by becoming a sustaining donor to CISPES today!

Recent Posts

CISPES delegates during press conference (Photo: Verdad Digital)

Demonstrators carry a banner reading "Water is ours, not private companies'" during a march against water privatization, June 16, 2018. Source: Yesenia Portillo